Monday, August 22, 2011

Today is my first day back at work

Oh sigh. It's been a crazy week, and I can hardly believe that once again I'm blogging from my desk. I'm not being a slacker, I choose to see it as "multitasking" since I'm also taking my breast pump for it's inaugural work run. Aren't you glad that you know that I'm pumping and typing?

It's kind of loud. I hope my office neighbors can't hear it. Although I can hear all their telephone conversations, so this doesn't bode well for them twice a day at approximately 11 am and 3 pm.

Anyway, I was kind of emotional this morning, as you might expect. Mike has to leave for work at 6:30 am, so I have to field the children by myself as I get ready in the morning. No easy task. I'm lucky that I remembered to both brush my hair and put on pants at the rate I'm actually able to focus on myself with both children around.

Anne peaked in terms of sleep goodness around 8-11 weeks, and since then, it's been a challenge again. I don't know what's up with her. She's teething and she's growing, so who knows. But I've been tired (and cranky) and there are so many changes taking place that my nails are permanently chewed off.

Heard at my house for hours last night:

"I DON'T WANT to go poo!!!NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

That pretty much sums it up.

But we're hanging in there. The kids are with my in-laws today, so that eased the transition. Tomorrow Anne starts daycare which will immediately set off my waterworks. But she'll only be there on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so it's not too bad.

The weekend was chaos though, since with Mike now working full-time we have to squeeze all the errands in and most of the cleaning. And having 2 kids, while not double the work, is still significantly more work than having 1. On Saturday morning, while attempting to do a large grocery store shop for the entire week, the following predictable things occurred:

(1) Anne began sobbing. I don't know what it is, but she hates the grocery store. This means that one of us has to carry her while still attempting to wheel the cart.

(2) Henry was running up aisles and would not stop talking. Resulting in:

(3) Me not being able to hear myself think. I swear it, if someone asked me my name while at the grocery store, I wouldn't be able to tell them. I'm trying to look at the list, hold Anne, make a decision about which brand to choose, and Henry is asking me questions about roller coasters at the rate of 50 per minute. It happens every time.

So, it's been crazy, but I know we'll get into a routine. The house still isn't as clean as I'd like it, but we did what we could. Trying to get things done during the day with the children is like walking through wet cement. Your rate of productivity is pretty abysmal. This weekend, I tackled the kitchen floor and we did a mountain of laundry. But we didn't get to the bathrooms, which I'm paranoid about since my in-laws are watching the kids at our house. And my mother-in-law is very tidy, so I know that she'll notice. I even could have lived with a wipe down, but that didn't happen either. Granted, my usual standard is above "simply doesn't smell like pee" but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Ok my bottles are full. I'm off. Hopefully, I'll be cheerier tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I read and appreciate every single one, and I will respond to each one personally!